In this research paper I will evaluate Kentucky State Police. I will present structured information regarding mandate of the agency, its historical background, organizational structure, key roles and responsibilities of the agency, benefits and liabilities, recruitment strategy and overall evaluation of all stated issue.
2. Historical overview
Kentucky State Police was established in 1948 with an Act of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and now it claims to be professional structured and effectively organized law enforcement agency which preserves law and protects its people.
3. Mandate and Organizational structure
Kentucky State Police (KSP) was created in accordance with two statutory documents- KRS 16.040 and KRS 16.060. Those two documents provide the Commissioner of the KSP with an authority to organize an agency.
Along with an organization responsibility, the Commissioner has the duty to be Chief Executive Officer of an agency and perform functions in accordance with law, administrative regulations, executive orders and overall directives from the Governor or Secretary of the Justice Cabinet.
There are three separate divisions in KSP: the Administrative Division, the Operations Division and Technical Services division. There are also four branches: Employee Assistance Program Branch, Executive Security Branch, Legislative Security Branch and Risk Management Branch. All divisions and branches finally report to the Commissioner, as the highest authority.
3.1 KSP Branches description
I have already mentioned that are four main branches in KSP and I would like to describe them in details. Employee Assistance Program Branch is responsible for provision of personal services to employees of the agency and for their families, including overall psychological assistance, such as stress counseling, spiritual guidance and referral services. To my opinion this branch is very much important as people can receive adequate support when they need it. Then, Executive Security Branch is responsible for provision of the security to the Governor and Lieutenant Governor, their family and residencies. Legislative Security Branch provides security of members of the Legislature and employees of Legislative Research Commission. And finally Risk Management Branch’s main objective is the increase safety of officers and decrease liability of the agency. For this purpose particular procedures are established and monitored, which ensure comfortable, healthy and safe workplace for agency personnel, including use of Early Warning System. This branch is looking for prevention of accidents or early intervention possibility increase.
3.2 KSP Divisions
There are three divisions in KSP that are correspondently constituted of many branches. Administrative division comprises of:
- Academy Branch (responsible for cadet training, career training, specialized personnel training, development, monitoring and evaluation of training programs and Academy food services);
- Driver Testing Branch (key goal- ensure that only qualified people in the state receive Kentucky operator’s license or commercial driving license by providing administration of the examination process);
- Facilities Security Branch (maintaining security at definite state-owned or rented facilities and property);
- Financial management Branch (budget- related functions, fund transfers, monitoring of accounts, approval of purchases, etc);
- Human Resources Branch (performs all basic duties of HR department);
- Internal Affairs Branch (assist Commissioner in maintenance of good discipline in the agency, ensure that police mission is fulfilled);
- Evaluation Section (inspection of the specific operational units and report preparation regarding inspected activities, which should include identifies concerns of the unit, recommendations about plan of actions and follow-up process);
- Media Relations Branch (technical support to Public Affairs Officers, development of present and future prevention and educational strategies against illegal drug activity);
- Properties Management and Supply Branch (copying, mail, maintenance services, storage of property records and insurance files, coordination of new building construction and reconstruction, as well as acquisition, storage, disposal, maintenance and distribution of necessary supplies and equipment);
- Strategic Planning Branch ( monitoring and revision of KSP Strategic Plan and Written Directives);
KSP Operations Division is responsible for directing the enforcement of criminal and traffic law, investigation of complaints and criminal law violations and for other functions that are necessary for the protection of citizens. This division contains Highway Safety Branch and three troops: East Troop, West Troop and the Special Enforcement Troop.
Highway Safety Branch’s key objective is administration and monitoring of agency that is funded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. West and East Troops are responsible for particular Posts and for provision and coordination of police within defined geographical territories. Special Enforcement Troop is responsible for directions of the investigations of illegal trafficking and crime, coordination of the collection, analysis and dissemination of related intelligence, etc. It includes Cannabis Suppression Branch, West and East Enforcement Branches, Aircraft Support Branch, Vehicle Investigations Branch, Special Operations Branch. Cannabis Suppression Branch objective is to provide specialized support to state, local and federal law enforcement agencies in the sphere of domestic cannabis eradication and activities of suppression. West and East Enforcement branches are both responsible for detecting, investigating and apprehending people who violate laws regarding drugs and who try to use legitimate drugs for illegal use, but at different geographic areas. Aircraft Support Branch operates, maintains, coordinates and manages agency aircraft. Vehicle Investigations Branch is responsible for major thefts of automobiles, construction equipment and watercraft. Special Operations Branch provides special assistance and support to agency and local law enforcement components.
KSP Technical Services Division consists of Forensic Division and Technical Division. Forensic Division is responsible for coordination and management of activities of the Central Laboratory, Western and Eastern Laboratories, Jefferson laboratory, Northern Laboratory, Southeastern laboratory and Electronic Crime Branches.
The Division of Technical Services is responsible for activities of Criminal Identification and Records Branch, Communications and Computer technologies Branch, Intelligence and Headquarter Communications Center Branches.
4. Roles and responsibilities.
The KSP provides its activity in accordance with a series of core values and principles. They are all stated in the codes and particular statements. All member staff of KSP strictly follows all core values and principles to be detail-oriented, efficient and professional law enforcement agency for the overall benefit if the State and its citizens.
KSP Code of Ethics includes following statements:
- “As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the constitutional rights of all persons to liberty, equality, and justice.”
- “I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of the agency. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature, or is confided to me in my official capacity, shall be kept secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of duty.”
- “I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.”
- “I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as public trust to be held as long as I am true to the ethics of police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession, law enforcement.”
KSP Vision Statement: “The Kentucky State Police strives to maintain the highest standards of excellence utilizing training and technology to create a safe environment for citizens and continue as a national leader in law enforcement.”
KSP Mission statement: “The Kentucky State Police promotes public safety through service, integrity, and professionalism utilizing partnerships to:
- Prevent, reduce, and deter crime and the fear of crime;
- Enhance highway safety through education and enforcement and
- Safeguard property and protect individual rights.”
KSP also has key goals and objectives, which include development of human resources through training and motivation; safety on the highway and overall reduction of crimes, or even prevention of them.
5. Benefits and Liabilities
Benefits of becoming a KSP Sworn Officer include comparatively high salary at the range of $3 000 and annual increase of it on a regular annual basis, as well as health insurance, life insurance, sick leave, military leave, paid holidays, necessary equipment, retirement program and also Merit pay Program, Compensation Program, Job Security, opportunities for growth and promotion and the possibility to take home car.
6. Requirements for employees.
To become a KSP Sworn Officer, according to Statutory documents, a person should meet the following qualification requirements: he should be the citizen of the USA, possess good moral character and have a good health, should be not less then 21 years old, have a valid drivers license and also by the time of application to finish at least 60 college hours, or other similar accredited college of university, or be a graduate with minimum 2 years of military duty or have 2 years of experience as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer.
In the conclusion I would like to summarize that acquired about KSP information appeared very interesting to me. The web-site of the agency is well-structured, but I would better propose to organize it in a bit another way and state the information not in an alphabetical order, but in accordance with significance of it. It will be good if system analyst check the availability of some information, as I had problem when accessing some of it.
Speaking about organizational structure, I must admit that it is excellent. And as to the benefits that KSP proposes, they are common, but also rather attractive and well circumspect.
Core Values of the Kentucky State Police. Retrieved November, 26, 2007, from World Wide Web: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/corevalues.htm
Kentucky State Police Organizational Units. Retrieved November, 26, 2007, from World Wide Web: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/ksporgan.htm
KSP Recruitment. Retrieved November, 26, 2007, from World Wide Web: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/career.htm
History of the Kentucky State Police. Retrieved November, 26, 2007, from World Wide Web: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/history.htm
The Kentucky State Police Home Page. Retrieved November, 26, 2007, from World Wide Web: http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/index.htm
Are you looking for a top-notch customized research paper on any evaluation topic? Is confidentiality as important to you as the high quality of the product?
Try our writing service at EssayLib.com! We can offer you professional assistance at affordable rates. Our experienced PhD and Master’s writers are ready to take into account your smallest demands. We guarantee you 100% authenticity of your paper and assure you of dead on time delivery. Proceed with the order form below:
Feel free to visit EssayLib.com and learn more about services we offer!