In the past few years, more engineers and architects have adopted the use of Building information modeling (BIM). One reason for the switch is the fact that BIM enhances a more collaborative environment. BIM also focuses more on building designs with high sustainability. Furthermore, it helps firms build structures that are more friendly to the environment and also help reduce the use of manual work. The BIM method improves productivity while cutting costs for the firm. While BIM is the primary method applied, you will require perfect software for its implementation.
This where the Revit software comes in. The BIM achieves its expectations all thanks to the Revit software.
Revit falls among the many BIM software. It falls among the few software packages that are digitally designed to be used specifically with the BIM. It forms the basis of transition to many IT firms. With Revit, firms can develop singular models and can avail their necessary information to all team members including the architects, engineers, clients and all other stakeholders thanks to its cloud computing feature. With its ability to facilitate collaboration between the different parties, it satisfies the needs of the various parties in the construction, architectural and engineering sectors.
Revit is one of the standard design software packages. However, what makes it outstanding is that it is more architectural centered unlike other software packages such as the 3DS Max which has a general model operation. It is specifically designed for architects and engineers, and it incorporates BIM. It helps to change the appearance of a model by simply entering data.
One of the key elements achieved by Revit is the connection between 2D and 3D drawings. While using other software packages, it is common to borrow information from the 2D drawings to apply in the 3D models. Although it gives the expected results, one has to pay extra attention to factors like consistency. An omission of one element from your 2D model to your 3D drawing compromises the whole model. However, the Revit BIM software builds a relationship between your 2D and 3D drawings. A change in your 3D model is automatically reflected in the 2D model and a change in your 2D model is also reflected in your 3D model. It allows for changes without losing data.
Advantages of The Revit BIM Software
The close integration of Revit with BIM gives architects and engineers who use the BIM platform more advantages. However, it is important to note the benefits of Revit itself as a software as stated below.
- No repetition. One advantage of Revit is that it helps reduce the amount of repetition done during the model designing process. During the designing stage, it is common to make adjustments on your drawing. When using other software packages, with every small change an architect makes on one drawing a subsequent change has to be made across the other drawings. Continued repetition consumes a lot of time and complicates the process. It also leads to inconsistencies should you miss to match a change done on one drawing to all the others. The Revit BIM eliminates the constant repetition by centralizing all the information.
- Parametric components. With the Revit software, each component built has parametric qualities. Despite having 3D elements, architects can modify the associated 2D drawings to change the 3D model. All the information is centered on a single database which gets updated every time a change is made regardless of the model on which the change was effected. Furthermore, any change uploaded is applied throughout the model. This helps save time and reduces the challenges encountered when trying to match the information captured on the different drawings.
- Landscape Design. To use a Revit BIM software, you first feed all the needed data into the model. This leads to the formation of structures or buildings with all the desired features. Engineers can also construct landscapes around the models thus making the models more attractive to the clients.
- Paperless documentation. By reducing the amount of drawing done the number of printing is reduced remarkably, almost to none. The Revit BIM records all the needed information and more critical data is tagged for easy accessibility. This makes your projects not only environmentally-conducive but also makes more sustainable. Besides, it is a paper-free –oriented software package design.
- The Great Library. Many digital design software packages provide accesses to components from where you can borrow when creating your design. Many architects acquire these components which they modify to get what they require at that moment. Like all other digital design software, Revit also has this library of components. However, in Revit the deal is even better in that it allows for storage of new parametric qualities which can be edited and added to the existing components. The library grows as you design and write more elements to form a huge library thus one can easily access more than you design every time.
- Energy Efficient Design. In the building industry today, many clients prioritize sustainability. The public is much aware of the effects of the buildings on the environment thus require sustainable building designs. Sustainability is best achieved with the BIM Revit software. Revit has tools which can be used to check on the impact of the building on the environment. The GreenBuild engine feature of Revit checks on the sustainability of the model right from the beginning of the drawing.
Disadvantages of The Revit BIM Software
- Difficult Perspective Editing. Although Revit has proven itself over time as very useful, using it sometimes may become hectic for interior designers who would wish to build interiors from a different angle. Revit has an isometric perspective which can complicate the appearance of some planes. As much as engineers and architects can rely on the software to automatically make changes, many prefer softwares with higher flexibility in their digital packages. A user may get some challenges when editing from the perspective of their choice.
- The Heavy Focus on Structural Design. Revit facilitates accuracy into a project. However, the element of accuracy is borrowed from other areas of the software. Unlike Revit, other software packages produce more fleshed out models thanks to their access to more general design tools. Thus, one may need to use other software to improve the functionality of Revit.
- Popularity level. Since its introduction, Revit continues to grow. However, it cannot be compared to the biggest CAD and other digital design tools. Since many are less familiar with it, many people shy away from it. The BIM component associated with it also puts people away, but with the continued shift to BIM, its popularity levels are expected to grow soon.
Recently, Revit has improved its features which include dynamo graphical programming interface. This enables users who are not experts in software to create videos with scripts thanks to its visual language, good coordination and improved compatibility through the improved SAT and Rhino file imports and the fact that it can use Navisworks files as underlays to link models.
No digital design software is perfect. Engineers and architects have to learn the application of the Revit BIM software slowly once they switch to it but after switching, the benefits are worth the long wait.